ROOT PATHOGEN SAMPLING INSTRUCTIONS
ROOT PATHOGENS TESTED FOR:
– Fusarium avanaceum, Fusarium equiseti, Fusarium graminearum, Fusarium oxysporum, Fusarium proliferatum, Fusarium solani.
– Pythium aphanidermatum, Pythium catenalatum, Pythium dissotocum, Pythium myriotylum, Pythium ultimum.
– Phytopthera infestans
– Phytoplasma spp.
***IMPORTANT: For root pathogens (Fusarium, Pythium, Phytopthera), samples for these pathogens should consist of roots near the crown of the plant, or a ½ inch section of the crown that spans above and below the soil level.
MATERIALS NEEDED: Scissors/pruning shears, 10% bleach solution to soak scissors/shears, clean paper towels, pen, disposable gloves, a cooler with ice (or close fridge access), a refrigerator.
- For each variety you wish to test, sterilize a pair of scissors by soaking in 10% bleach solution for 10 minutes and wipe dry with fresh paper towel (this is to ensure there is no contamination between samples).
- Take the document included in the Genie Lab kit and write down the name of the variety you are testing next to the barcode (do this for each variety you are testing).
- Put on a fresh pair of disposable gloves (for each variety) and remove a ½ inch root sample near the crown of the plant, or a ½ inch section of the crown that spans above and below the soil level, and place on clean paper towel.
- Using the sterilized scissors, chop the plant sample into a few small fragments.
- Open the barcoded Sample Tube from the Genie Lab kit and add the chopped sample and close the tube tightly, thereby inactivating the sample.
- Submerge the chopped sample in the solution by inverting the tube 5-10 times to ensure all plant material is coated.
- Place the submerged samples in the fridge overnight and then place the samples and barcode document into a bubble mailer and ship immediately to the return address using UPS priority shipping.