ROOT PATHOGEN SAMPLING INSTRUCTIONS
ROOT PATHOGENS TESTED FOR:
– Fusarium avanaceum, Fusarium equiseti, Fusarium graminearum, Fusarium oxysporum, Fusarium proliferatum, Fusarium solani.
– Pythium aphanidermatum, Pythium catenalatum, Pythium dissotocum, Pythium myriotylum, Pythium ultimum.
– Phytopthera infestans
– Phytoplasma spp.
***IMPORTANT: For root pathogens (Fusarium, Pythium, Phytopthera), samples for these pathogens should consist of roots near the crown of the plant, or a ½ inch section of the crown that spans above and below the soil level.
MATERIALS NEEDED: Scissors/pruning shears, 10% bleach solution to soak scissors/shears, clean paper towels, pen, disposable gloves, a cooler with ice (or close fridge access), a refrigerator.
- For each strain/cultivar you wish to test, sterilize a pair of scissors by soaking in 10% bleach solution for 10 minutes and wipe dry with fresh paper towel (this is to ensure there is no contamination between samples).
- Take the document included in the Genie Lab kit and write down the name of the strain/cultivar you are testing next to the barcode (do this for each strain/cultivar you are testing).
- Put on a fresh pair of disposable gloves (for each strain/cultivar) and remove a ½ inch root sample near the crown of the plant, or a ½ inch section of the crown that spans above and below the soil level, and place on clean paper towel.
- Using the sterilized scissors, chop the plant sample into a few small fragments.
- Open the barcoded Sample Tube from the Genie Lab kit and add the chopped sample and close the tube tightly, thereby inactivating the sample.
- Submerge the chopped sample in the solution by inverting the tube 5-10 times to ensure all plant material is coated.
- Place the submerged samples in the fridge overnight and then place the samples and barcode document into a bubble mailer and ship immediately to the return address using UPS priority shipping.