FOLIAR OR FLOWER FUNGAL SAMPLING
FOLIAR OR FLOWER PATHOGENS TESTED FOR:
Penicillium brevicompactum, Penicillium citrinum, Penicillium olsonii
LEAF SPOT FUNGI:
1. For each variety you wish to test, sterilize a pair of scissors by soaking in 10% bleach solution for 10 minutes and wipe dry with fresh paper towel (this is to ensure there is no contamination between samples).
2. Take the document included in the Genie Lab kit and write down the name of the variety you are testing next to the barcode (do this for each variety you are testing).
3. Put on a fresh pair of disposable gloves (for each variety) and remove a nickel-sized leaf or flower sample that has a clear pathogen issue and place on clean paper towel. **Flower metabolites can interfere with the PCR test, therefore try to only sample infected tissue**
4. Using the sterilized scissors, chop the plant sample into a few small fragments.
5. Open the barcoded Sample Tube from the Genie Lab kit and add the chopped sample and close the tube tightly.
6. Submerge the chopped sample in the solution by inverting the tube 5-10 times to ensure all plant material is coated, thereby inactivating the sample.
7. Place the submerged samples in the fridge overnight and then place the samples and barcode document into the bubble mailer and ship immediately to the return address using USPS or Canada Post priority shipping.